Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

California, Cousins, and Commencement

Continuing on a spontaneity streak, I decided to take a last minute trip this weekend to Mission Viejo, California for my cousin Liz's college graduation. Actually, it wasn't really a decision. As soon as I found out that my aunt was going, I was online booking a ticket to accompany her. I absolutely adore my California family, and I could never pass up the chance to spend quality time with them.

My cousins, Mandy and Liz, are two of my most favorite people in the world. And I don't say that lightly. If you are as lucky as I am with extended family, you realize that cousins can have very deep relationships. I think one of the main reasons I have so much trouble leaving the girls after a visit is because I feel like the third sister when I'm with them. Unfortunately, factors like distance, school, and jobs keep the three of us apart more than I would like. However, we did grow up together, and I cherish these childhood memories on both the East and West coasts.

My first birthday in California, 1992

Disneyland, 1999




Graduation, 2009

It's probably worth mentioning that this entire trip was a surprise for my Cali family. No one had any idea that I was coming. I was the first to walk in the door; I really wish I could have taken pictures of my cousins' reactions! Very wide eyes, screaming, and lots of hugging.

Family dinners, walks on the beaches, a trip to San Diego's Old Town, and an afternoon in Hollywood followed throughout the weekend.
Huntington Beach, Orange County



Old Town San Diego was stunning. Obviously, I'm not used to seeing a whole lot of Spanish influence coming from Massachusetts, so I found the whole area to be particularly beautiful. Artwork lined the streets, spicy food smells wafting...ah!







This guy had a free hula-hoop thing going!

And on Sunday, the woman of the hour graduates. Congratulations, Liz!

To cap off the occasion, a casual eclipse. Ya know. Only happens every once in a blue moon. No pun intended.

Post-graduation dinner was at a restaurant called, "Arrivederci." Yes, I was SO in my element here! Perugia friends, you guys may appreciate this: I essentially acted as translator for the Italian menu. I know some of us have had to play that role. :) Made me so homesick for our beautiful city! The restaurant was so legit that they gave me wine. Not complaining!

We ended the trip by visiting some iconic Hollywood sites, namely, the Chinese theater and Walk of Fame. Oh, and I can't forget my first experience at In-And-Out Burger! A dream come true. I highly recommend it.
Harry Potter cast, obvs. Including wand prints. 

JULIE. ANDREWS.


Rodeo Drive

I am coming to appreciate experiences and time with loved ones more than anything else in the world. I am so incredibly thankful to have such amazing family out West. I have always looked up to Mandy and Liz from day one, and I am thrilled that as we get older, we can pick up and remain as close as ever. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment