Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Meter Pizza and Lady Gaga

Greetings! I'm writing to you slightly sniffily. Looks like my immune system of steel has crashed a bit as a result of all of my traveling! I had a sore throat yesterday, but luckily that subsided, and now I just have a runny nose. No big deal, but I'm glad I'm feeling better! A lot of the kids here have had colds this week.


Cool restaurant for aperativo! Cushions on the floor!

On Wednesday night, we had our "aperativo" that I discussed in my last post. The night was a chance to relax during our week of Intensive Italian, as well as an opportunity to chat with everyone. I remember being particularly hungry that night, so I was particularly excited about it. We were expecting Italian cuisine, but the restaurant staff, probably detecting some homesickness, served us hot dogs, hamburgers, and quesadillas! It was DELICIOUS. Even normal American food tastes better here! Lots of sangria was to be had as well.

I also made my first dinner for the apartment this week. Gnocchi was on the menu! (Sorry the picture above isn't rotated the right way). It was yummy!

Last night, my roommates and I went out for "meter pizza." Yes, the name says it all...
We ate the whole thing!

"This table is reserved exclusively for the customers of the meter pizza."
I'm starting to realize how many of my post revolve around food...

This morning, we went grocery shopping (at the same store I wrote about in an earlier post). I felt so grown-up buying my own food! I forget if I talked about the MiniMetro before, but this time I have pictures! The MiniMetro takes us to the "down the hill" area of Perugia where the supermarket is. It is like a Disneyland ride! It is probably the cutest form of transportation I've ever seen. One ticket is 1.50 Euro for seventy minutes. If you take longer, you have to buy one for the way back. We learned this the hard way today when we were literally one minute late for our return ride! Oh well. Anything for the MiniMetro.
Riding the rails

I'm casually strolling the aisles looking for more Nutella when who else but Lady Gaga comes on the radio. It's worth noting that American music is quite popular here. (Pretty sure I heard some B. Spears as well). During our nightly strolls through the Piazza, we've been hearing American Christmas music! One, it's after Christmas (but I'm not complaining) and two, we're in Italy! I'm starting to appreciate these hints of home, as strange as they are. :)

Stay tuned for a whole post of my hilarious "Nooks and Crannies" tour! Led by a young professor here, it's always a hit. I just have so many pictures to sort through and stories to write that it doesn't fit here! Until tomorrow!






2 comments:

  1. 1. Love the "down the hill" ride. Yup, just like the People Mover at Disney World.

    2. I REALLY WANT ONE OF THE METER PIZZAS!

    3. Kudos for the gnocchi!

    :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the meter pizza! It looks delicious! And I'm pretty sure I could eat half of that by myself! Good for you for making gnocchi! You will have to teach me how to make that. That looked really good!
    Sounds like you are having a great time, Maria! I love your blogs! You are so good about writing them frequently! Thank you!
    I miss you and love you! Auntie Lisa

    ReplyDelete