Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Deep Cuts

It was late afternoon, and I was bleeding.

Not many people can declare that they've been sliced on a horseshoe crab, but I can. I sighed as I reached into the first aid kit to pull out a Band-Aid - the first thing we all do when we have a cut.

My first grade campers just love Band-Aids. Although only about one in ten "injuries" at camp actually warrants one, the kids frequently point to a freckle or a bug bite before eyeing the green medical bag hopefully. Most children just like the way they look. But is this desire for a bandage based on a deeper need?

Young children are not the only ones obsessed with Band-Aids.

Bandages offer protection. Even if you don't actually need it, it's nice to just stick one on your arm or leg and go on your merry way. Of course, Band-Aids can prevent infections. Other times, however, we just don't want salt in the wounds...

But isn't a little salt water good for cuts?

Why do we try to "fix" everything? I will be the first to state that, because of my mothering personality, I feel no deeper hurt than the pain that comes with staring into someone's helpless eyes and acknowledging that I cannot help. I've looked into my own heart on occasion and had the same devastating realization. There was nothing left to do.

In the end, I had to let myself bleed out.

After all, blood involves the heart.



....And what happens when a Band-Aid isn't enough?




No comments:

Post a Comment