Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Thankful #5. Teachers.

I have been blessed with several inspiring teachers in my lifetime. There was my fifth grade teacher, who I still think of when I write a paragraph or essay. My eighth grade history teacher sparked a passion for the subject that resides in me to this day. Learning was engaging in her class; we watched Civil War movies and designed our own election brochures. I still remember how she had us memorize the preamble to the Constitution. I can still recite it. (Just did the other day...don't ask).

The point is, teachers can have a lifelong impact that far extends the time they physically spend with a class. Good teachers don't just teach you academic material; maybe they provide personal guidance, or teach you something special about yourself. Maybe they believed in you when you were about to give up. Maybe they taught you to love learning for learning, and not for grades.

I have also had some brilliant college professors. My current psychology thesis seminar professor was a former president of the American Psychological Association (APA). She fought for civil rights in the 60s and met Martin Luther King, Jr. All over the country, she has used her expertise for good.

You might expect someone with this kind of track record to be mildly intimidating. But this woman is the opposite. She is approachable, kind, and cares that you do well. And she really wants that connection with her students.

Tonight, for example, she had my class over to her house for dinner. All of us. Chips, pizza, and dessert. So informal, and the conversation just flowed.

We met her poodle and her nineteen-year-old cat (who liked to hiss, but was adorable all the same). We toured her stunning home. Her partner showed us old family albums (admitting she had no idea who some of the people in them were). And at the end, we received a beautiful pep talk from my professor and her partner:

"Sometimes, I worry about the future. But meeting you guys and watching you interact, I have hope now. You will go out and change the world. And it's the small things that make a difference."

I think some of us were getting teary. Just they way they said those things. With meaning and conviction. Just that statement alone gave us confidence going forward.

And that, in my opinion, is a great teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment