Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Italian Culture 101

I can't believe I've been here for 1.5 months already! Time really flies. In this spirit of passing time, I am going to provide a crash course in Italian culture. These are some things I've learned in class, from Italians themselves, and simply through my own experiences.

1) Italians don't understand each other. (Sometimes). 
This may sound weird, but it can be true. Italy as a united country is actually younger than the United States (Italian unification happened about 150 years ago). Therefore, before unification, the country was essentially over a dozen smaller states that were like their own countries. The effects of this now are that Italy is home to many different dialects. This isn't like the United States where people may have accents but can still understand each other. For example, I met an Italian a few weeks back who told me that his best friend, who is from Southern Italy, literally cannot understand his grandmother who lives in Venice! Naples also has a very distinct dialect. It's amazing that Italian is actually a "new" language in that it has only really been spoken since unification. I just find this whole concept fascinating.

2) Yes and No(Yes)
This tidbit comes from Antonella, my wonderful sociology professor. Say an Italian man asks you out to dinner. If you say yes, then that means yes. If you say no, it should mean no, right? Wrong! To an Italian boy, "no" really means, "she actually means yes, I just have to be persistent." And apparently, they can be very persistent! Not in a bad way, it's just the culture. Antonella joked with the guys in my class as to what they think the response "no" means. Let's just say, I don't think they would be as forward..

3) "La Bella Figura"
This concept can be difficult for outsiders to understand. Essentially, it is a phrase that describes presentation, or how a person presents himself or herself to the world. This does not necessarily refer to facial beauty, however. Italians are very concerned with looking presentable at all times, both physically and socially. "Bella Figura" means being schooled in social graces involved in interacting with others by exhibiting manners, gentleness, and wit. The physical portion means putting your best face forward (no one walks the streets in pajamas around here!)

4) Slow and Steady
I think I may have touched upon this before, but I love how Italians eat! Here, if you are out at a restaurant, you are never, ever rushed out. In the US, I feel like waiters always come up to you towards the end and say, "Do you want anything else?" Even when they then proceed to add "but take your time," I always feel like I'm hogging the table if I don't leave soon after. In Italy, a restaurant table is yours for the night. Besides when they are bringing out the courses, waiters don't check on you. They leave their customers to themselves. We actually have to ask for the check when we're ready. You can expect to spend at least 2 hours (at the least) at dinner when you go out.

5) And For Something That Would Make the American Po-Po Cringe....
Open containers GALORE. I was out last night, and literally hundreds of people were walking around the beautiful historic center with open bottles, glasses, and plastic cups (and no, they were not filled with water). Not to mention that no one ever gets carded. However, there's a paradox. On my first ever dinner out with my friends here over a month ago, we asked the waiter if we could take our empty wine bottle home as a token of remembrance of our first night. He said yes, but to "hide it in our coats" because apparently walking around with an empty wine bottle breaks some kind of law. I have no idea what this law is, but one of my friends joked that it may have more to do with the fact that you can throw it at someone than the fact that there was alcohol inside. (There could be some truth to this though, who knows).

And there's your crash course for the day! I'm sure I will add more to the list as time goes on.

Here's a picture from my Valentine's Day dinner the other night that I had forgotten to post. I love the colors!


I am heading to Venice early tomorrow morning for Carnavale! It's one of the biggest festivals in the world, so expect lots of stories and pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment