Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Baby Turtles?

Happy spring! I am so glad that winter is behind us all. Fresh produce abounds in these parts at this time of year. I love eating my delicious oranges daily, as well as strawberries (although those are an expensive treat. Some things never change!)

This past Saturday, my roomies and I hit up the giant Saturday market at Perugia's stadium's parking lot. I have heard so much about this weekly event, but this is the first time I've been able to go due my my frequent traveling. To say it was a chaotic scene would be an understatement! People intensely bargaining for the best deals (not with their fists, although there was a close call...), vendors shouting out their prices, kids throwing discarded orange peels at each other. It was wonderful!

I am never really surprised by anything anymore. Therefore, I didn't really flinch when I saw a stand selling  BABY TURTLES. Yes, turtles. Not sure how my summer job colleagues at Mass Audubon would feel about this (not sure where the turtles are coming from...) but they were too cute! But it didn't end at turtles! There were also rabbits (for 2 euro a "kilogram"...don't think they are being purchased to act as cute pets!) And baby chicks too!

Speaking of food, it is amazing how my eating habits have changed here. Mostly for the better. For example, I am now officially a breakfast eater. At UMass, I rarely consumed anything except water before 11am. Part of my lack of breakfast was mainly due to inconvenience (it would mean stopping at the dining hall, and I liked to sleep for as long as possible). Also, those dorm room mini fridges can only hold so much! In Italy, I have been buying yogurt, fruit, and cereal and eating something every morning. I feel great! My stomach seems to be able to handle morning food better here, and I think that since I am used to it now, I will be able to eat three healthy meals when I'm back in the States.

After my internship today, I helped Lucia grade the student compositions. She buys me a cappuchino every week after class (despite my protests). Too adorable. I really have a special bond with her; she is constantly involving me in every aspect of her class, and truly values my opinions. Supervisors of internships/other opportunities don't always take young students seriously, even if you show high initiative. Lucia is the complete opposite. She treats me as a friend and colleague, not someone who is "beneath" her.  Since they are on vacation for two weeks at the beginning of April, my time with my high schoolers is starting to come to a close. Lucia did a notebook check last week, and showed me all of their notes from my lessons. One of the students who I am particularly fond of wrote "Lessons with Maria" at the top of his page. Too cute! It is so rewarding when they use my vocabulary in everyday conversations. I am so happy that I chose to apply for this opportunity. It has been one of my favorite parts of the semester so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment