Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Kiss Me, I'm (A Quarter) Irish

Ciao tutti! Spring has sprung in Perugia! We've had 70 degree weather for the last four days. With spring comes a change in activities here. For example, rather than get ahead on that paper, everyone lounges on the steps in front of the Duomo, gelato in hand. The steps are also the gathering place for nightlife.

Speaking of nightlife, Happy Saint Patrick's Day! Yes, Italy celebrates. Or rather, we all celebrate and the Italians are more than happy to join in. As my Italian friend Marta so wisely stated, "We celebrate EVERYTHING. The most important thing is to have a party!" Seems that this culture is down with flashy green sunglasses, shamrock hats, and rounds of "Olay, olay olay olay."

I wish I could convey the festive atmosphere of the piazza last night. There were seriously thousands of people out. It was just the best time. We have a favorite bar called Dempsey's. By bar, it's pretty much just a room with a bar, and everyone spills out into the streets. I'm not a huge fan of the sketchy house party scene, but things are so different here. Everyone just sits on the steps, chats, and makes friends. It's a blast!

Look how far it stretches!

My lovely roommate, Ashley, gave me a manicure with shamrocks. :)



With the warm weather also comes new excursions. Friday, I went with a few friends to a nearby lake. We picked the most beautiful day to go. Just look at this sunset. The beauty of nature never ceases to amaze me.





Someone caught a huge fish!!





I am really loving the slow life. My roommates and I had a three hour dinner the other night. This is not unusual. We never run out of things to talk about. One of them said it well the other night. We all come from very different backgrounds, and, I can imagine, different social circles. However, we just "clicked." I feel like I've been lucky to meet the best people here. And now I'll have friends to visit all over the country. Such a wonderful feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment