Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Monday, March 12, 2012

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?

This is for all of the SOM fans out there!

I ended spring break with a Saturday in Salzburg, Austria. The Sound of Music was filmed there in 1964, and the city is famous for the movie's sites (just FYI for those of you who, for whatever reason, aren't as obsessed with the movie as I am).

I should probably throw in here why the Sound of Music is so important to me. I grew up watching this movie. I'm even partially named after it. My mom saw the movie when she was five, and said that if she ever had a daughter, she would name her Maria. And she did! (Helps that she married my Italian father too). 

Time to play a game. See if you can figure out where I am!

The back of the house...where Maria and children fell in the lake!

I am sixteen going on seventeen...

Von Trapp villa! You can even see the gate Julie Andrews pushed open

The abbey
 We took a forty minute ride through the mountains featured in the opening scenes. Stunning scenery.




In the mountain village of Mondsee, we saw the church where the wedding scene was filmed.


Next stop: Mirabell Gardens! Do-Re-Mi!!

Remember this?

Dancing around the fountain!

And a few more from Salzburg:






This day, for me, represented more than a tour. I always hoped as a child that I could be like Maria. Confident, optimistic, and trusting in God/life's plan for her. In a strange way, being in Salzburg reminded me of my drive to live out these traits. This is such an exciting time in my life. "I have confidence the world will all be mine!"

2 comments:

  1. Okay, way way better than my friends described and I'm sure than even you imagined! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is the best blog ever! Your pics are so amazing! It must have been fun to be a "part" of the SOM!!!! So proud of you, Maria. And, yes, you are just like THE Maria!!!
    Glad you are safely "home" again. What an adventure!
    Love you, Auntie Lisa

    ReplyDelete