Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Snapshots

If my calculations are correct (and they may very well not be), I've been home for about six weeks now. And how much has happened. So many milestones in the lives of so many people that I love. This post is not only about those milestones, but also about the everyday moments. Because while graduations and weddings and birthdays are certainly memorable, it's those snapshots of time in between that define life in a way.

So here is my summer so far in pictures. And some explanation where needed. :)

Recently, I've been making sure to capture some moments with Robbie and Joey (when we can all get in one place!) Something clicked in my brain when they visited me in Italy in April. I don't know what it was, but I realized that they're really growing up. Maybe it was watching Joey meet Lucia, the teacher I worked with in Perugia, and observing him give her a firm handshake while looking her straight in the eyes. The way an adult would. Maybe it was just seeing the boys out of context that made me truly appreciate just how uniquely kind and fun they are. Are sibling relationships perfect 24/7? Of course not. Definitely not. But I've been pretty lucky.

We were recruited to paint our new fence. 


Joey's piano recital last week
Oh yeah, and his travel soccer team won the huge regional Memorial Day soccer tournament, too.  Tough life he has.

Take Robbie, for example. I remember looking at him a few years ago and thinking that I could never imagine him looking any older. Kind of how I think of Joey now. But Joey's voice will probably drop this year, and he'll be a foot taller next summer. That's what happened to Robbie, anyway...

 Robbie and his friend Mads met each other in diapers. Watching these two and his other childhood friends graduate felt almost more surreal than my own graduation three years ago. Maybe it's because I actually remember babysitting them, or that I can still hear their high-pitched toddler screams. Or maybe it's just the fact that their graduation means that I'm getting older, too. For these reasons and others, the picture below actually makes me cry. I'm just so proud of them.


Some more from graduation:




Robbie's not the only one who is living the good life. Having celebrated my 21st on June 4th, I am pretty pumped to be legal in every country now. (Added bonus: I like my license picture now way more than the last. Rain combined with my long, thick hair didn't work out too well five years ago).

Any excuse for ice cream cake. My favorite!


Some orange/pineapple deliciousness

My birthday was unfortunately on a Monday, which made celebrating with friends difficult. But no matter, that just means we have all summer!

Or not. I work around 50 hours a week now. But I'm loving my second summer teaching at camp in Wellfleet! More to come when we actually start receiving campers next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment