Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

It's Tourist Season With Sunsets

My life on Cape Cod is just like anyone else's life, I guess. But being a native Cape Codder, I've realized, comes with a sort of code of unspoken rules that apply during the summer months. These rules include:

1) If at all possible, don't try to come on Cape on a Friday, or leave on a Sunday.
2) Assume that every other driver on the road is an idiot.
3) Just because you arrive at the beach before 10am and paid some serious cash for a sticker, does not mean that there will be a parking space for you.
  
....and others I'm sure.

Rule #2 stems from my general anxiety surrounding a few near misses in the last couple of weeks. I've nearly lost my life on several occasions, occasions that involve two common denominators: tourists and rotaries.

For any of you reading this who may not be familiar with what a rotary is, let me explain. A rotary is a fascinating type of circular intersection that supposedly decreases traffic by allowing cars to get off at an exit without having to deal with traffic lights, etc. The amazing thing about a rotary (which tourists don't seem to understand) is that IF YOU MISS YOU EXIT, YOU CAN KEEP GOING AROUND THE CIRCLE. It's like a Ferris Wheel; once you're on, you're on until you get off (or the ride stops, but that's besides the point). YOU DO NOT STOP SHORT IN A ROTARY. I REPEAT: YOU DO NOT STOP.

Besides the occasional traffic woes, my little town of Sandwich remains generally untouched by the tourist gangs (except for the occasional elderly tour bus by the Sandwich Glass Museum, a place we Sandwich kids frequented as young children on field trips). For whatever reason, that place seems to be a hot ticket. At least compared to the towns downcape like Wellfleet and Chatham, I can still usually find a parking spot at my favorite local beaches.

The other night, I went for a walk on the Sandwich Boardwalk with my childhood friend. This will always be one of my favorite spots in the world, no matter where I end up.







The beautiful moments in life are without a doubt worth the occasional traffic jam.


No comments:

Post a Comment