Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

One of These Things is Not Like the Other

I'm a traveling girl this week. My friend from UMass, Ashley, is studying in Cork, Ireland. I arrived late Friday night for my visit with her. This trip is wonderful in that I can just take everything in and not run around; I don't love when I have only a weekend to see a place. It feels frantic. As I'm obviously feeling several emotions at the moment, Cork is the perfect place to relax for awhile. It has some wonderful sites, but is way more about just feeling the atmosphere rather than cramming in a packed itinerary. All I really wanted was beautiful scenery and an authentic pub experience anyway...

Let me start off by giving a shout-out to my brother, Robbie. Kid, I know how you feel now. I know how you feel when you are the lone redhead in our immediate family. I know I make fun of you for it (milkman jokes? Woops!), but you are special in your own way. You keep on being that awesome redhead. Because for the last two days, I've been experiencing your problem in reverse.

NO ONE is brunette here!

Seriously. Ashley says if anyone does have dark hair, it's probably dyed. I have only seen blondes and gingers! It's a whole new world! I have never felt like I stood out more. Actually, that's not true. Volunteering in Holyoke, MA last semester represented a similar experience. But that's besides the point.

What is most wonderful about the Irish people? They don't care if you stick out like a sore thumb! I started to get a good vibe from this place when I had a seven minute conversation about life with the man at passport control. Guy was pumped to see me. And the women on my flight? Talked to me like I was an old friend. How about the man Ash and I ran into on the way out of Mass this morning? Asked where we were from, and invited us to coffee with him and his elderly male friends on the spot! (Or, in his words, "How about some coffee with some old, married men?")

But seriously, I've never met friendlier strangers. The Irish do hospitality well. And speaking of Mass, I have brought my tally up to four. That is, I've gone to church in four different countries this semester! Every time had a distinct feel to it. This morning, Ashley and I went to church in Gaelic! What a beautiful language. The music sounded perfectly Irish. Just guitar. And the cathedral wasn't too shabby either. Lots of stunning pastels-yellows and pinks and greens. Pictures to come at the end of my Ireland jaunt. For now, I'm taking it easy.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! :) And love that you got to visit there! Mass in Gaelic sounds amazing!!! Okay, no more exclamation points, but wicket jealous that you're there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some relatives from Taiwan who lived in Ireland for a few years. They said the same thing. They never felt more welcome in another country. :)

    ReplyDelete