Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Tante Belle Cose

Yesterday, tears swimming behind my eyes and thoughts of the impossible goodbyes on the horizon permeating my thoughts, a very special person looked me in the eye and said, "tante belle cose." She smiled when she said it. Translation? "Many beautiful things." I wish you so many beautiful things.

This expression is my new favorite. Not only because of the circumstances surrounding it at the time, but because of what it represents. I could write a really long post about how sad I am to leave. Because truth is, I've cried for a substantial portion of the last 48 hours. I know that I'm sad. However, the last week was filled with the most beautiful moments. But what does beautiful even mean? I like this definition, as it really touches me: "a meaningful personality in which spiritual qualities are manifest." I want to share a few of the people, moments, and memories from the last week that have this kind of soul.

At the beginning of the week, I said goodbye to my high schoolers. These kids are seriously the best. They all pitched in and bought me a school sweatshirt, so I'll always keep the memories fresh. They also made me a beautiful card. They insisted that I kneel in the middle of the group with my sweatshirt on in the following picture so that they could "all be close to me." So cute. This internship was the experience of a lifetime. I will always treasure my time at Alessi, and have several new Facebook friends!

Silly kids! :)

We had absolutely gorgeous weather yesterday (our last day). My last final behind me, I sat for over two hours on the steps people watching, writing, and just taking in the stunning blue sky. It was really one of those "I feel so small" moments that I love so much. I thrive on that feeling that I am part of something so much bigger than myself. Friends came in an out, but it was also really a chance for me to reflect. With incredible scenery. Those steps are probably one of my favorite places in Perugia. So symbolic of the city's nature.

These shades are actually 3D glasses. 

Not a bad view from here


And of course, some last pictures of the hills. It didn't even look real.





And a goodbye to my Italian family. That was rough. Before our farewell dinner last night, Leti and I made a special visit one last time. Francesca, our Italian sister, was crying by the end. Which of course set off a domino effect! She's such a funny girl, and dreams of visiting America. You can tell by her room.



Thank you, Vigneris, for making us a part of your family.

"Sisters" don't have to be blood related!

And last, but certainly not least: I've talked roommates. I've talked Italian family and high schoolers. But, as it turns out, my most difficult goodbyes last night were with some of the Umbra staff.

These people are seriously top notch. They each have a job title, but we joke that they can pretty much do anything and everything. Smell gas in your apartment during your first week that is actually just a normal heater smell? Mauro shows up to reassure you. Have to go to the doctor? Someone will go with you to translate and act as moral support. It it isn't just the practical things. These are brilliant minds who have lived so much life. Some really special conversations occurred last night as I struggled to leave. Let's just say that sitting in a circle with a few twenty/thirty-something-year-old girls, who have seen the world and done incredible things, and listening to them tell you that your whole life is ahead of you...really stuck with me, and will for a lifetime. I hope they know how much I treasure the time I spent with all of them. I know it's never goodbye.



And roomies again

That being said, this semester represented a beautiful turning point in my life. I am still processing this change, and will definitely write more about it in the coming days and weeks. Currently, I am sitting in the Rome airport, waiting for my flight to Cork, Ireland. Ireland until the 2nd, London until the 6th...then back to Rome for my flight out to the United States. Everything is coming full circle. Just like it always does.

For now, I am telling myself: Tante Belle Cose. Only a beautiful life from here.



1 comment:

  1. Oh Maria! I cried as I read this blog of yours! It makes me sad to know you are leaving because one of the highlights of my day is when I get to read a new blog of yours! You are leaving Italy....and so are the rest of us, it feels! What a lucky girl you are to have found such great friends there! These are friendships that will last a lifetime, I'm sure. Can't wait to see you and hear all about it! We should have a family gathering so you don't have to repeat the stories over and over and over.......!!! Have fun the next couple of weeks traveling and be safe, as always.
    Love, Auntie Lisa

    ReplyDelete