Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Monday, January 2, 2012

And so it begins...

Three days. I honestly cannot believe how fast time has flown. I feel like I've been saying that a lot recently, but it's true. Maybe it's the new year. Assuming the world does not end in 2012 (as my mother says, "At least it will be quick") I will be a senior in college this fall. But between now and then, I will be spending a glorious semester in Perugia, Italy!

Here is a sample of one of my many recent conversations on the topic:

Hypothetical Person: "So you're a junior this year, right?"
Me: "Yup! So crazy!"
Hypothetical Person: "What classes are you taking next semester?"
Me: "Actually, I'll be abroad."
Hypothetical Person: "That's amazing! Where are you going?"
Me: "Italy!"
Hypothetical Person: "Fabulous! Me and my (spouse/significant other/fiance/daughter/college roommate/friend/mom/dad/extended family/third cousin/other) went there years ago. The food is unbelievable! Where will you be exactly?"
Me: "Perugia!"
Hypothetical Person: *Blank Stare*
....I then proceed to inform said hypothetical person of the exact location of my future whereabouts. Hand motions and all.

If you are reading this and horrifically recalling this exact conversation you've had with me, don't worry! I had no idea where Perugia is prior to two years ago when I started looking into study abroad options. To answer the blank stares, Perugia is essentially smack in the middle of the country. It is between Rome and Florence, and is the capital of Umbria (Italy is split into different regions). Think hilly, think Tuscany. I originally considered studying in Florence. While Florence is an amazing city (and I will most certainly be visiting), my advisor and many others told me that my language acquisition would progress more quickly in a city that doesn't see as many tourists. Perugia is a medieval hill town, but is also remarkably modern. It's the best of both worlds!

Why Italy in general? To be honest, I never considered any other location. For one, I am Italian. (Yes. You weren't imagining that the name "Maria Papapietro" has some Italian roots). I am fascinated with exploring my family's homeland, and this has become even more important to me in the last two years. (I'll be discussing the personal reasons behind this in future posts). Additionally, Italy is fantastically diverse. It is a relatively small country compared to some others, and yet you can hike mountains, drink wine in the Tuscan hills, and swim in the ocean without leaving its borders! Not to mention the tremendously rich history and culture. Did you know that Italy has the highest number of UNESCO World Heritage sites in the world? (I've been doing my research!)  And of course, there is always the food, which is certainly not to be understated!

What will this blog look like? First and foremost, I intend to be very honest throughout my whole experience. I know I already labeled my semester abroad as "glorious." While I am confident that I will come out of my time abroad a changed person, I realize that it will not always be an easy ride. If I have a trying day, expect to know about it. The purpose of this blog is mainly to allow me to work through my thoughts, feelings, and lessons learned. I will also be using it to assure everyone (okay, Mom) that I'm alive. Sidenote: if you were sitting at my kitchen table on Christmas, you would have heard tips like:
1) "Remember to always wear a whistle!"
2) "Maria, people may try to rob you by throwing babies at you. Be careful." (I don't know quite what to make out of this one, although I know it happens. It did come from my cousin, who is an experienced traveler himself).
3) "Don't get drunk and go off with creepy men." (Seriously? Because I always do that at home!)

...You get the idea.

Warning: This blog may also get profound and emotional. Anyone extremely close to me knows that I process events this way. So if you have a black heart, stay away!

On that note, I would like to tell a story about my emotional development, and what it means to my study abroad experience. (I'm a psych major. Sue me). My mom and I were talking the other day about my preschool years. Little Maria had horrendous separation anxiety. I have brief flashbacks of grabbing the picket fence at my preschool, white-knuckled and screaming/crying hysterically as my mom pulled away. This was a daily occurrence. Who knew that that scared little girl would ever dream of moving across the Atlantic? Sometimes I am amazed at how I have grown up. Don't get me wrong, I am a homebody. That will never change. However, I can now make a "home" wherever I am. Change terrifies me. Frankly, the thought of having to adapt to a new environment and break from my routine gives me a stomachache. But I am very contradictory; while I am frightened by change, I constantly have my travel fantasies in my head. I have come to learn that my biggest obstacles involve taking the initial leap; once I do, I am rarely disappointed. Through everything I do and experience, I always have faith. My faith is what will make this journey a beautiful one. I am ready.

2 comments:

  1. Maria, what is so interesting is that I felt the exact same way when I was younger. Even freshman year of college i refused to go to school any further and 20 minutes away. And now I am going to Australia. I feel like this must run in the family. LOVE and miss you. ~Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria-I am so happy for you. Yes, you are brave to be so adventurous and this is the time in your life to have this adventure. I look forward to reading your journal. Change is a challenge for everyone. I know you'll be fine! Love, Auntie Karen

    ReplyDelete