Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

When in Rome



Greetings! So, I just got back from Rome last night…

Yes, Rome was not in the plans. In fact, it was not in the plans until 11:28pm the night before we left.

We had been talking about going to Rome this weekend for a few days. However, we didn’t hit the “play” button on the plan right away for a few reasons. Amy and I had our second CIS dinner last night, which we certainly didn’t want to miss because we love Romina and couldn’t wait to hang out with the Rome CIS kids. We just weren’t sure whether leaving for Rome early Friday morning and coming back Saturday evening would be too quick of a trip. Also, one of the girls saw that the weather wasn’t going to be great in Rome this weekend. (It ended up being totally the opposite. More on that later). Long story short, we decided to just blindly go for it. I spent the night Thursday night at the girls’ apartment, and we planned. Hostel was booked, Vatican tickets were reserved, and the bus schedule was examined. And to say we didn’t regret the trip would be the understatement of the century.

Rome was…absolutely magical.

This entire post is going to be sentimental and maybe a bit sappy. But I honestly have no way of conveying the awe that comes with stepping out of the metro stop and laying eyes on beautiful ancient ruins looming next to stunning modern gardens and streets.  Those of you who have been there know what I’m talking about. There is an indescribable energy.  Rome is a stunning blend of old and new, past and present.

After settling into our hostel (which was very nice), we headed to the Colesseum. It is HUGE.  I don’t know what I was expecting, but I was blown away. I can’t believe it has been standing for this long; a part of it is not longer there, but overall the structure has survived two millennia worth of natural disasters and war. Not bad! None of the girls have been to Rome before (several of us haven’t even been to Europe at all) so this was our first major sight. Jordan in particular dreamt of coming here, so she was a little excited.




It takes your breath away

 And the Arch of Constantine of course!!




We really wanted to go to the top of the Colosseum for the view. Unfortunately, we only realized this around 3:45, and the last entrance was at 3:30! We will most definitely be back, so next time! The gladiators kept us entertained, however. After trying to talk to us, one of them asserted, “Don’t worry. I’m gay.” Silly gladiator! It felt like people camp out around the attractions trying to quite literally push flyers in your face and sell you stuff. Thank you, but those little squishy animal toys kind of get old after seven men in a row throw them to the ground to demonstrate their squishiness to less than enthusiastic potential customers.

After the Colosseum, we did some general exploring. I could spend years in that city; it literally felt like there were surprises around every corner.

One of my major “alive” moments happened accidently. We took a turn and decided to walk up these random steps (there are a lot of them in Rome). At the top, the steps turned into a beautiful square with a fountain. Only a couple of people were there, and we essentially had the square to ourselves. It was past dark at this point. We started running around like little kids and racing up and down more steps. Leaning over the railing at the top of the stairs with one of my friends, we kept saying, “We can’t believe we’re here right now.” 

After an amazing dinner, we headed to the Trevi Fountain. The second it started to come into view, we screamed and ran down the street. I had butterflies, I was so excited! The Trevi at night is stunning; a group of girls were playing guitar and singing, and strangers were laughing together and taking pictures. The girls and I discussed “rules” for wishing in the fountain throughout dinner. Does it matter what kind of coin you use? Do you make the wish while the coin is in the air, or before you throw it? The six of us ended up lining up horizontally, backs to the fountain, and shouting “Uno, due, tre!!” before tossing the coins over our shoulders. So special!

Unfortunately, my camera had died after the Colosseum. I was able to charge it that night (so it was fine for Saturday) but I couldn’t take pictures of the Trevi. However, my lovely friends had me covered, and got some beautiful shots of the fountain, plus various pictures of all of us/me individually. I will definitely put those up in my next post, since this one is getting long anyway!

The next day, we woke up bright and early for the Vatican! Personally, the Vatican was this Catholic girl’s dream. My faith has always been extremely important to me since childhood, and I felt like I was making a pilgrimage of sorts.

The museum was great, but huge. I’m definitely glad I’ll be going back with my family for a private tour when they’re here in April, because sometimes there is no way to know what you’re seeing. It’s such a massive place!





We followed the signs to the Sistine Chapel.


I wish I could have seen our faces when we walked in. Pictures will never do this place justice. The entire interior is covered with art. We kept asking ourselves how Michaelangelo was able to paint on a slant; how did he even make it up to the ceiling, let alone create such a masterpiece? I don’t think we’ll ever know. Taking pictures in the chapel is against the rules. However, I’m turning into a bit of a rebel (and everyone else was taking them). Therefore, I held my camera in my lap and randomly pointed it up at the ceiling, hoping I would get a decent shot. And what do you know, a blurry but not too too terrible picture of the Creation!

After the museum, it was time for St. Peter’s. I should note the weather, which will explain the pictures to follow: 65 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. I can’t believe it’s January and we all had our coats off!





Family Christmas card!

 There is no way I can describe the basilica but to just post the pictures I took of the inside. I have never felt so small, but in the best way possible! I have also never seen a more beautiful structure. It was a very spiritual experience.




This doesn't capture how beautiful the streaming light was!
Outside of the exit of the basilica, we walked by this fountain. I told the girls that it was holy water. I have no idea whether this was true or not, but I do know that it was the most delicious water I have ever tasted. And hey, it can’t hurt to fill up water bottles (as we did) or stick your mouth in it, can it? Now I’m filled with holiness from head to toe!




Amy and I had to take the four o’clock bus back to Perugia to make our dinner. The other girls stayed a few extra hours. As Amy and I got ready to walk back to the metro stop from Vatican City, we looked at her watch in horror. We only had an hour. That is, an hour to get back to the metro, take the metro to Termini, walk from Termini to the hostel to get my stuff (a good ten minute walk, the hostel staff watched our bags for the day), and then get BACK to Termini, take the metro from Termini to Tiburtino (another train station), and then at Tiburtino, find our bus.

What ensued was probably one of the most entertaining hours ever (although it didn’t seem so hilarious at the time).

Picture this: two obviously American girls (particularly tall, blonde Amy) completely sprinting through the streets of Rome, jumping curbs, dodging streetlights, and getting the strangest looks from almost everyone. I’m pretty sure Amy was nearly hit by several cars in the process. Looking back, it probably looked downright shady considering we were both looking over our shoulders and carrying large bags.

When we were sprinting back through Termini to catch the metro to Tiburtino, a young man shouted at us in Italian, “Hey! I just saw you girls outside running! Like Superman!” ….Looks like we’re making quite an impression on this city.

In the end, we made it with about seven minute to spare. If we didn't run, we would have missed our bus for sure. Operation complete! No mission is too daunting for these two partners in crime! 

I know these types of stories are ones that I will remember.

Earlier in the day while we were in St. Peter’s, I took a few minutes to say some prayers in this little spot that is used for that purpose. I had so much to say. I think I started to cry for a minute; my heart was just so incredibly full. I love these girls. I love Rome. I love the adventures we have, and I know there are so many more to come. I love that I have the amazing opportunity to experience the world. I love that I get to feel so alive.

Ciao Roma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment