Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Teenagers Can Be Cute!

This morning was a very special morning, as I began my education internship!

I don't think I've mentioned my internship yet. I had to apply for it when I got here, so I didn't want to jinx my chances! However, I was accepted and made the trek to Alessi high school this morning (I had to be there at 8:10...bleh). I just found out yesterday evening that I was starting this morning, so no Monday night karaoke for me!

For my internship, I will be helping two English teachers (one on each day I am there, Monday and Tuesday mornings) to plan their lessons. However, there is a lot more to it than that. I am to organize group work, provide the students with practical conversations, and arrange skits and other fun activities. Lucia is the teacher I am working with on Tuesdays (and this morning). I met her last week, as she led our tour. She is the head of the English language program at the school. She is so passionate about teaching, and we already hit it off (I got Italian kisses on each cheek when I left!) She emphasizes speaking. She instructed me to use no Italian in class (even though I can still chat with the kids in Italian for fun later). She wants them to have the unique opportunity to converse as much as possible with a native speaker. An amusing moment occurred when one of the students asked me my age. I replied twenty (in English). I thought numbers were pretty simple, but he looked at me somewhat blankly. Lucia explained that the kids are used to hearing English in the form of British accents (all of the recorded tapes they hear are recorded in England) so he didn't understand my American accent at first! I repeated my age again, and he understood. I don't think British and American accents sound all that different in the grand scheme of things, but I guess to a non-native speaker, they do! It's really a cultural education I'm receiving.

The kids were AMAZING. I love them already. This class was a first year class, so most of the students are fourteen. It's cute, because most of the boys still have baby faces (I forgot how young high school freshmen can look!) It sounds weird, but the girls were literally entranced by my presence. Italians (and Europeans in general) seem to really idolize American culture. They talked about The Simpsons (Lucia explained that the show is big in Italy). I asked them if any of them had ever been to the United States, and none of them have. However, when I asked them where in the US they would like to go, they all said either California or New York (big surprise there). I think they believe that the whole country is like what they see in the movies!

Today's class wasn't a representation of how the day will typically go. Lucia told me in advance that today's fifty minute period would be devoted to introductions, as well as a question and answer session with me. Not going to lie, I loved talking about my culture and learning about the kids!

Right off the bat, I noticed extreme differences in Italian education. Lucia had me take attendance so I could learn names. When I called a name, the student would stand up, raise his or her hand, and declare, "I am here." It seemed so much more official in a way (I don't know if that's the right word). While teenagers will be teenagers, these kids were extremely attentive and respectful. In Italy, students stay in the same classroom all day, and the different teachers come to them (completely opposite from the States, where the teachers have their own classrooms and the students switch). When I told the kids about this, they exclaimed immediately that they prefer the US method! I guess it would be tiring to sit in the same room all day long!

I shouldn't have been surprised by this, but I thought it was interesting that there were three immigrant students in the class (out of about twenty). One girl is from Romania, one boy is from India, and another boy is from Peru. Italy has seen a huge increase in immigration in recent years. Lucia told me afterward that one of these students has to act as translator for his entire family (he's the only one who can speak Italian). So he knows Italian fluently after four years, as well as his dialect from home AND some English. I am continuously amazed at how children and adolescents an rise to the occasion in the face of difficult circumstances. This type of resiliency is also present in another boy in the class, who is almost completely deaf. Imagine trying to learn a foreign language when you can't hear! The desks in Lucia's class are set up in a circle, specifically so this boy can read everyone's lips. Lucia really has to be creative in her lessons so that students with handicaps can feel included. Another reason why she is such a brilliant teacher. I will definitely be learning a lot from this experience. And not only academically!

Another reason I loved this school is the welcoming atmosphere. I've gone into a lot of new volunteer/internship situations the last few years. I have rarely felt so comfortable so immediately. Lucia met me in the teacher's lounge before we went up to her class, and all of the faculty members were very anxious to say hi to me (even if their English wasn't fabulous, although most can speak at least a little bit). One of the other English teachers even bought me a cappuchino! He LOVES the Celtics (go Boston!) and was absolutely fascinated that I was from Celtics nation! Everyone was just wonderful. I even received a personal greeting/conversation with the headmaster (principal!)

The only downside of the day was the ten minute walk back to Umbra, since Alessi is at the bottom of the steepest hill ever (UMass O-hill kids, you would appreciate this!) However, I felt so happy that I didn't really care. Expect a lot more rants about my internship throughout the semester! I am excited to plan skits and just form personal relationships with the kids! They were extremely welcoming, and I am thrilled to be experiencing Italian culture firsthand.

No comments:

Post a Comment