Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Variety is the Spice of Life

So I'm going to do something drastic and blog about several things in one post. Mind-blowing, I know!

Okay, so first, I have to talk about food. Food here is kind of a big deal. I discuss it a lot, I know. Anyone who observes my eating habits regularly may understand why. I'm not ashamed; I like to use the "I'm growing" excuse for my bottomless pit mentality (although, I think I've stopped growing by now, but who really knows). That excuse has grown into the "Well, I have a fast metabolism and need some meat on my bones" excuse. Not that I feel the need to make excuses. Especially in Italy. Eating comes before breathing.

Take Thursday night, for example. The night before my friends and I left for Rome, we went out for dinner. Here's how it goes. First, you get some kind of appetizer. Then, "primi piatti" (usually, a type of pasta). Then, "secondi piatti" (typically a meat course, although if you just want pasta you can stop at primi piatti). Next comes salad normally (salad is eaten after the big meal here, which I've actually grown to love! It feels like it cleanses your system).


And of course, dessert! On this night, most of us got tiramisu. YUM.
Practically inhaled it
All of us agree that we LOVE how Italians eat. In American restaurants, I often feel like I'm being pushed out the door. In Italy, when you sit at a table, it's your table for the night. Waiters don't check on you every five minutes, and you can sit for hours and just talk. The courses come out slowly, so you have time to digest. I love love love the feeling of walking out the door completely satisfied, but not overly stuffed.

Sometimes, it's tough to decide what you want...
Hmmm
And sometimes, you want everything. Then the bill gets uncomfortably large...


But still SO much cheaper than the same food would be back in the States! Exchange rates are overrated...

Regardless, we are still some happy girls!


And that's an Italian meal!



Part Two: The other Rome pics I promised! Thanks to the girls for these ones. :)
Trevi



Our steps


Love this candid



Pictures really are worth a thousand words...or in this case, probably infinity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment