Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Packing Woes

MEH. Currently pulling my hair out. Not really, but I've always hated packing. I could be going on a safari or to some remote tropical island and still hate it. Therefore, my general angst at the moment has nothing to do with lack of excitement about my trip, but everything to do with my being a bit paranoid.

Okay, sometimes more than "a bit" paranoid. I have my hand sanitizing quirks. Not to mention that I found out the truth about the tooth fairy because I was terrified that she was going to stab me in my sleep. It's fine.  I've gotten a little better about that. But I still hate the feeling that I might be forgetting something. I think the most commonly used phrase in my house today has been "YOU CAN BUY IT THERE!" (Mom).

This morning, with my third Dunkin Donuts iced coffee of the last two days in hand (hey, it could be awhile) I ventured to the Mashpee Commons for some luggage tags. Fast forward to about an hour ago. Sitting on the floor of my room, Mom and I spent legitimately twenty minutes trying to figure out how to attach the dang things. Who knew that you looped the plastic tubing twice? Whatever. How many intelligent, relatively attractive women does it take to complete a simple task?

Tomorrow is a little nutty. We're going to have the car packed by late morning. I am dismissing my brother from school at 1 (I guess my legal self has that power!) We're picking up Mom at work, and heading right to the airport. Obsessively early, I might add (see paranoia stories above). My flight isn't until 6:20, so hopefully that will give me enough time to relax at the gate! I have People magazine to keep me busy. I mainly bought it because William and Kate were on the cover. Harry is still available, maybe I can snag him while I'm there...

I almost forgot to mention my awesome travel buddy! The idea of flying alone to a foreign place isn't too appealing for me. Enter: Becky. At our mandatory predeparture orientation at UMass right before Thanksgiving, Becky and I found each other (our name tags both said "Perugia"). We really hit it off as the semester ended. Not only were we going on the same program, but, miraculously, we had booked the same flight!! God works in mysterious ways. I am so excited to be sharing this experience with her!

I am not sure of the next time I'll be able to write. The time change is going to throw everything off. But I will definitely update everyone on my travels in the next two days! Thanks to all of you who have shown me so much support over the past week with phone calls, messages, and words of wisdom. At this point, some extra prayers for safe travel would be much appreciated.

Mom wasted no time in basking in the glory of a mention in my last post. Another reason to read. If nothing else, you never know when you'll get a shout out! :)

Sending you all lots of love. God bless, keep in touch, and see you on Facebook/Skype! Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Make sure to stay awake all day Friday with coffee, walking, etc...!!! Jet lag...schmet-lag... You'll be golden on Saturday. :)

    ReplyDelete