Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Friday, January 6, 2012

"Is This Real Life?"

And introducing...my first blog post from Italy!

View during landing!
I don't know how many of you have ever seen the Youtube video "David After Dentist." Essentially, the video consists of a father videotaping his son's wacky behavior as he is coming off of laughing gas. (Ethical or not? It's your call. But hilarious either way). At one point, the boy looks at the camera and exclaims/groans, "Is this real life?!"

I mention this video because it somewhat relates to how I feel at the moment (minus the drugs). After an overnight flight to Madrid, another flight to Rome, plus a 2.5 hour bus ride to Perugia, I'm here. I didn't sleep much at all, so I'm in a fog. Not quite as exhausted as I thought I would be, but I'm getting there. I wasn't quite sure what I was expecting when we landed in Rome. I guess I thought the Collesseum would be off looming in the distance. It was a little more industrial than I expected. The ride to Perugia was beautiful. The highways look a lot like American highways, minus the boring trees. We will be doing some more exploring this weekend.

Tonight is dedicated to our "welcome dinner" at eight (two in the afternoon American time). Two of the four girls I will be sharing an apartment with are rooming in the hotel with me tonight. They are from Pennsylvania, and are really sweet! I just took my first shower here. Big happenings.

Homesickness is definitely settling in. I've only been here for about three hours at this point, so it is to be expected. Travel sounds romantic and amazing until you realize you have to get used to a completely new way of life! I think after this weekend of orientation, I'll feel better about getting around and finding things out. For now, I'm just trying to get over the hump of the initial shock. I know this will probably be the hardest part. Emails definitely help.

I'll keep you all updated on my weekend activities...stay tuned for my first walking tour of the city and other events. Hope you all are having a wonderful Friday.

Severely jetlagged and disheveled...but hey, it's a moment

3 comments:

  1. Take it all in Maria-the blog is fun. I was in Europe for a year back in my early 20's and I kept a journal. I still look back at it once in a while. It's normal to feel homesick and it's not a good feeling, but, it's the agony and the ecstasy of it all-it simply comes with the territory. Have fun-you'll feel better when the jet lag subsides-you must be at your gathering now! Love, Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog, Maria! I feel like I'm there (almost). I agree with your Aunt Karen, the homesickness will subside after a while. This is all so new right now and I know you wish your mom and brothers were right there experiencing it all with you!
    The picture of you is great! You look like "them"!! ha ha!!
    Can't wait to hear about your dinner and tomorrow!
    Love you, Auntie Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha those palm tree looking things in Rome were so weird!

    ReplyDelete