Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

First Week and the Little Things

It sounds like a Thursday night outside of my apartment. Oh, the joys of college.

But to be honest, this place has never felt more like home.

I was worried about coming back, but it has been quite alright. More than alright. Sure, there have been some hiccups this week. For example, I had an issue with parking my car. And that thesis won't write itself. And I have to find an internship-y placement in the next seven days or so. Or less...

Yet there are those moments that help keep me grounded, content, and in the moment.

Tonight, I was able to talk about my study abroad experience for over an hour with sophomores who are on the same path. That felt amazing. It completely brought me back to the city that stole my heart, my other "home."

And my real home here? Well that has been the best surprise of all.

One major blessing(s) right now is (are) my three roommates. Just three nights in, and walking into this apartment at the end of a long day is the best feeling in the world. We all actually sit down and have conversations. Even if it's just typing on the couch together or laughing about our days, there is a sort of unspoken unity.

It's the little things, really. The communal bowl of candy corn on our coffee table in the living room. The yellow flowers in the kitchen. Pictures of our families and posters on the walls. A blending of four different worlds into one.

As this is our senior year, this living arrangement is particularly important. Not to sound overly dramatic, but a whole lot will be happening in the next eight months in the confines of these walls. I'm sure one of us will burst in at dinnertime later this spring with job news. Or grad school news. Or just another funny story.

As a plaque in our living room states, "Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realize they were the big things."

Words to live by.


No comments:

Post a Comment