Living the questions, one moment at a time.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thankful #17. Reunions.

On Friday night, I was able to reunite with a few friends I studied with in Perugia. One flew in from Minnesota, one goes to Harvard and drove out to UMass, and the third goes to UMass with me already.

It was a relatively simple affair. We ate a big Italian dinner and drank wine and laughed and retold stories of our time abroad. But what surprised me was how natural it felt having us all in one room, one room that was not in Italy.

It's coming on a year since I left for Europe. But I love how connected I still feel to the experience. Part of me misses it every single day, and I still feel sad when I realize that it's all over. But another part of me is so amazed at how the impacts of the experience on me are becoming clearer everyday. One impact, of course, involves the friendships I formed there. (I'm really thinking of my roommates when I say this).

So while I may not see these people often, it makes me all the more grateful when we can reunite. After all, we shared a life-changing experience and that will never go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment